How to Clean Wall Coverings and Wallpaper?
Do you love your existing wall coverings or wallpaper, but do not like the dirty or dingy appearance? If the colors are not as vibrant as they once were, you can try cleaning certain types of wall coverings and wallpaper. If you are to the point of wanting to replace your wall covering or wallpaper, why not give it a try?
Here is a list of a few types of wall coverings and wallpapers and how to clean them:
- fabric wall coverings, including grass cloth – clean using a vacuum cleaner, either by using vacuum attachments or a small handheld vacuum
- delicate fabrics, including silk and hand painted – contact the wall covering manufacturer for cleaning instructions
- nonwashable wallpaper – try an art gum eraser or dough-type wallpaper cleaner
- washable wallpaper – mix 1/4 cup liquid dishwashing detergent and 1 cup of warm water until a foam, use a sponge to apply the dry suds to the wallpaper
What about fresh stains on your wallpaper?
Here are a few types of stains and things you can try:
- grease spots on wallpaper – blot with a clean paper towel, hold a clean piece of absorbent paper to the spot and press with a warm iron, replace the paper once it becomes greasy. If that does not work, you can purchase a wallpaper stain remover
- crayon on wallpaper – use a sponge to apply a dry cleaning solvent. If this does not remove the color, try mixing 1 teaspoon of bleach to 1 cup of water and apply to the crayon color.
- crayon on vinyl wall covering – try silver polish or dishwashing detergent, applied with a clean cloth
- ink on washable wallpaper – using a cloth or cotton swab damp with chlorine bleach, lightly dab the spot. Rinse with a cloth or sponge that has been dipped in clean water
As with all of these tips, it is best to first test any method for cleaning on a scrap of wall covering or wallpaper. People always ask why we recommend ordering a few extra rolls of wall covering or wallpaper from the same lot. The reason is to have extra to test for cleaning, or extra for repairs.
if you have tried any of the above methods and are still not happy with your wall covering or wallpaper, contact HCG Contractor 1-800-Painting. We may be able to repair the area if you have extra rolls, or help you with wall covering and wallpaper replacement.
HCG CONTRACTOR 1-800-PAINTING CAN BE REACHED VIA OUR CONTACT FORM, EMAIL, OR PHONE AT 1-800-PAINTING OR 704-375-7378