What is cracking?
Cracking is when hairline cracks begin to form due to a split in the dry paint film of at least in coat of paint. As the cracks become worse, the paint will begin to flake.
What can cause Paint to crack?
- applying a low adhesion paint
- applying a less flexible paint
- applying paint that is too thin
- improper surface preparation
- the age of the paint
- painting over a glossy surface
How do you repair cracking paint?
- remove any loose and flaking paint
- sand the area
- prime any areas before painting
- allow to thoroughly dry