Planning for your Kitchen Island – Questions to Ask
Kitchen islands are a great functional feature that can also serve as an informal dining and conversation area. It can be designed to provide a sitting area for family and guests for entertaining while cooking.
When planning and designing your perfect island, here are some items to think about and questions to ask:
- How will the island fit your families needs?
- How will the island fit with your entertaining needs?
- How much eating space will you add to the island?
- Do you need additional storage space?
- Do you need a food prep station?
- What type of cooktop will be installed? What type of hood is needed? Where is the best placement for the hood?
- Is a sink needed on your island?
- How much countertop space is needed?
- How many electrical outlets are needed?
- How many shelves are needed and what will they be used for?
- What is the knee space height?
- What is the seating capacity and what type of seating will be used?
- Do you have young children or planning a family in the future? You many want to consider radius corners on your island.
- What type of material will be used for your island countertop?
- How much lighting do you need over your island and what type?
- Where is the placement for the kitchen island to give the best access to cabinets, appliances, sink, and table? Think about your kitchen working space like a triangle.
- What is the optimal height for your island?
- Will your base be an enclosed cabinet base? Do you need drawers?
- Will your base be a more open design with large shelves for large pots and pans?
Need design help or options? Contact Us!