Location: Huntersville NC
Surface Area: Exterior Deck
deck repairs and upgrades:
Repaired and replaced damaged areas of the existing deck, stairs, and railings for local residential client in Huntersville, NC.
Selecting the right materials for your deck is as important and choosing the right color and style. You should compare the initial cost of the decking materials to the annual maintenance costs. Traditional wood decking materials can be less expensive, but will require cleaning, resealing, staining, and various wood replacement when rot or damage from the elements occurs. Newer materials generally are more expensive than traditional materials because they last longer and require less routine maintenance.
Some examples of decking materials are:
- pressure-treated wood – usually fir, treated to prevent rot and insect damage, can last for years, will need refinishing
- cedar – can rot, will need refinishing
- redwood – can be expensive, can be sensitive to the elements will need regular maintenance
- vinyl – relatively maintenance free, does not contain any wood, can come with a warranty, usually have standard color options
- composite – made from wood fibers and recycled materials, usually low maintenance, has a variety of color and texture options for a real wood look, can come with a warranty, can attract mold if not properly cleaned every few years
- Ipe – made from South American hardwoods, generally naturally resistant to rot and durable, installation can be costly and very labor intensive due to the extremely hard nature of the wood, will need to be sealed annually.