What are color characteristics?
How you choose the right color for your room or wall? Here are a few helpful tips!
How does light affect color?
Different types of light can cause color tones to look vastly different than in the can or on a color swatch.
- Fluorescent light amplifies cool colors and weakens warm colors. Blue will tend to look more vibrant and yellow will tend to look dull. An incandescent light will tend to amplify warm colors and dull cool colors.
- Reflected light takes on the characteristic of whatever it is reflected from. A cool reflected color will look different than a warm reflected color.
- Regular light when low, will make a color look dark and reduce the color’s intensity. When regular light is high, it will increase the color’s intensity. If there is too much regular light, it can cause colors to look washed out.
how to alter a room with color
How can you use color to make a room look smaller or larger?
- Warm colors tend to make a room feel smaller, and can be used to make a large cold room feel warm and intimate. Some examples of warm colors are: yellow, red, and orange.
- Cool colors tend to make a room feel larger. Some examples of cool colors are: blue, green, and violet.
- Color intensity also can affect the size of a room. Intense colors tend to make a room small. Less intense colors tend to make a room seem larger. Darker, more intense colors absorb light and make a room seem small. Lighter, less intense colors reflect light and make a room seem larger and more open.
Need help choosing the right colors for your home? Send us an email or give us a call! Contact Us!