Yes, wallpaper is making a comeback! It has not regained the massive popularity from the days of the brightly colored and large floral prints that you may have seen in your grandmother’s formal room, but it is being used to bring color and patterns to accent walls and powder rooms. Depending on what type of wallpaper you choose, it can be a quick and cost effective way to change the look of any room.
Now for the big question, what type of wallpaper should you choose? Are there certain types of wallpaper that are best suited for different rooms and areas of your home? Are there certain wallpapers that are more difficult to hang than others? Why are some wallpapers so expensive?
Here are some different types and answers:
- Vinyl Wallpaper – In commercial application, vinyls are most commonly used in restaurants and hotels. In residential applications, they are best suited for kitchens, bathrooms, and other high traffic areas. These types of wallpapers are more durable and able to be cleaned. There are four different types of vinyl wallpaper: solid vinyl, vinyl coated, paper backed vinyl, and fabric backed vinyl.
- Solid vinyl is waterproof, scratch and tear resistant, durable, and easy to clean. It can be installed in bathrooms, kitchens, children’s bedroom, and playrooms
- Vinyl coated can be scrubbed, easy to clean, heat resistant, humidity resistant, and resistant to grease. It is best for high traffic areas, kitchens, bathrooms, family rooms, and children’s areas.
- Paper backed vinyl is moisture and stain resistant, can be washed, but it is not suitable for rooms and areas with high humidity. If it is installed in a humid area, the paper can separate from the vinyl or pull away from the wall. Depending on the humidity levels and length of time that the wallpaper has been exposed to the humidity and damage caused, the wallpaper will eventually need to be replaced.
- Fabric backed vinyl can be cleaned, scrubbed, and is durable. It can be used in high traffic areas, entryways, children’s areas, dens, kitchens, bathrooms, and can be installed over walls with imperfections. There are three types of fabric backed vinyls that can be used for specific applications:
- Type 1 – light grade for light traffic areas, best for use in areas above chair rail, can be used in hotels and offices
- Type 2 – medium grade for higher traffic areas, best for use in hallways and entry areas
- Type 3 – heavy grade for areas that are can be damaged by equipment, best for use in hospitals and food service locations
- Grasscloth is a more natural wallcovering that is made from different grasses and plants. It is more suited for rooms that need a more rustic look. Since grasscloth is made from plant materials, it can contain many natural imperfections and colors that are not uniform throughout the roll. After installation is complete, the seams are visible and the installed panels will not match. Grasscloth is not recommended for high traffic areas or areas that are prone to damage. This wallpaper can stain very easily, is very hard to clean, and does not do well in areas with high humidity. If you are looking for a wallpaper with a seamless and uniform look that flows effortlessly around the room, grasscloth is not the material for you.
- Regular Wallpaper can be found in most home improvement stores and online. These papers come in thousands of colors and designs. Many regular wallpapers are not as durable as vinyl or as thick as grasscloth, so most walls will need to be smoothed and prepared to make sure there are no imperfections that will show through the wallpaper. Many of these wallpapers cannot be cleaned, so make sure you have enough from the same lot for repairs.
Wallpaper and wallcoverings can be a great way to add color and designs to a room or wall. Make sure you research what type of wallpaper will work best for the area. Some wallpapers can cost thousands of dollars and can be very labor intensive. If you need more information on the different type of wallpaper and costs, visit Mahones. Here you can order samples and search by theme, brand, color, and style.
If you are looking for wallpaper ideas, have questions, need help choosing the right type of wallpaper or wallcovering, need to know how much wallpaper to order, need an installation estimate, or want to schedule an installation appointment, give us a call or send us an email: Contact Us!
Also, see what other services we offer and see some of our completed project below: